Building Healthy Communities works to create supportive school environments through healthy eating and physical activity.
BHC strives to promote:
- Educate students through classroom lessons
- Create an environment that makes the healthy choice the easy choice
- Encourage students to practice lessons learned in the classroom
- Provide opportunities for physical activity
- Improve access to healthy food and beverages
Building Healthy Communities has an extensive history of measurable and demonstrated impact on improving the health of Michigan’s children, including:
- A significant reduction in obesity
- 40 percent more fruit and vegetables consumed than the national average
- 700 step increase per day
- 35 additional minutes per week of moderate to vigorous physical activity
- 19 minutes less of screen and video time per day
- 74 percent report that it was easier to pay attention in class
Students and their parents have a unique opportunity to workout together here at Carleton! 45 minute work out sessions are held every Wednesday from 2pm – 2:45pm! Come sweat with us!